A metric is a quantitative measure of the degree to which a system, system component, or process possesses a given attribute.Generating Test Metrics are the most important responsibility of the Software Test Lead or Manager.
A quality metric is a quantitative measurement of the degree to which an item possesses a given quality attribute.
Metrics allow for deeper understanding of the performance of the application and its behaviour. The fine tuning of the application can be enhanced only with metrics. In a typical QA process, there are many metrics which provide information.
The following can be regarded as the fundamental metric:
• Functional or Test Coverage Metrics.
• Software Release Metrics.
• Software Maturity Metrics.
• Reliability Metrics.
– Mean Time To First Failure (MTTFF).Must Read -
– Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF).
– Mean Time To Repair (MTTR).
Guide to Useful Software Test Metrics
Software Test Metrics - Key metrics and measures for use within the test function [by - Mark Crowther].